Tuesday, July 8, 2008

IRRITATED



Michael took me to hear the Utah Symphony play great American music to celebrate the Fourth of July.



The Symphony performs outdoor concerts at Deer Valley Ski resort in the summertime, and it is an absolutely spectacular venue.



People bring food to eat and blankets and chairs to sit on, making it a fun atmosphere, as well as a beautiful one.

Sadly, the people who came to this concert didn't seem to realize that this was a concert, and not just a picnic in the park. I nearly went crazy with all the chattering that went on around us as the symphony played. I was absolutely irritated. There were kids dancing next to us, a mini soccer game just a few feet away, and someone touting the merits of their new video camera. I nearly lost it when the people behind us started talking about the price of airline tickets to Denver these days...Michael finally turned and asked them to hold their conversation until between songs, and they were a little quieter after that. I did lose it when people started to pack up their chairs and blankets when the conductor announced the last song of the night.
Are you kidding me? Sit still for three more minutes, for Pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just so rude.

I was feeling slightly irate.

Do people just not know how to behave at musical events? My mother taught me well, so I am lucky enough to know that you don't talk during a performance, you applaud when the conductor comes to the stage, you hold your applause between movements, and standing ovations are for times when you are truly moved to ovate, not just because everyone else is doing it. I can understand people not knowing things like waiting to applaud until the conductor drops his hands after a piece has been played. Not everyone has my mother for a mother, after all. But not knowing that you shouldn't talk?! That one should just be a given. But apparently it's not.

I was reminded of the grown lady (even older than I, old as I am) in attendance at Evan's choir concert who not only answered her ringing cell phone, but answered it saying, "Oh, no, that's okay. I'm just at a choir concert."

Just at a choir concert??????!!!!!!!!!! Just here listening to kids sing their hearts out and share the music they have been working on for several weeks now to perform for little ol' me, sitting out here in the audience next to parents, friends, and family members who might actually care to hear what's going on without cell phones ringing and people saying "I'm just at a choir concert!"

Yes, I was slightly irritated. My feelings didn't improve much when this lady STAYED INSIDE THE AUDITORIUM TO CONTINUE HER PHONE CONVERSATION!!!!!

Okay. I should calm down now. I'm beginning to develop irritable patron syndrome...

On a happier note, here are some pictures of Evan performing, just at a choir concert.



(You may notice a girl wearing a tux coat and a boy who is not...Chivalry is not dead, folks! Poor girl's zipper broke, and the gentlemanly fellow offered up his coat to her. That's sweet.)



And some pictures of sweet Farmor trying to convince Joshua that he really did want to be there, supporting his brother.



And some pictures of not-so-sweet Lane not being supportive of his brother (he told us he's just preparing Joshua for Junior High School...).





And seriously, folks, what kind of parent stops to take pictures of such sibling sacrifice, instead of helping the poor youngest child? (Probably the kind who knows this could make some good blog material...)

In closing, a picture of some non-irritating people, at least in this non-irritating moment! Who knows what will make me snap later on?



4 comments:

SladeMomma said...

I don't know - Evan's face in that last picture is pretty irritating.

Denise not D'nephew said...

Keri you are too funny! Now this is how i look at outdoor concerts (especially on the lawn) they are for the lay people to get them involved in music. that means that you will get the noise of the crowd, but hopefully a few of these people will enjoy the music enough to participate in future events. But thats just my opinion!

jalynnie said...

hahaha! what a great blog! i was reminded of your mother and the ovation policy..which i follow to this day, even when it means people look at me funny....

Keri said...

In response to dear Denise...
Yes, I too, recognize that the change in atmosphere will elicit a loosening of audience standands, but enough to play soccer and leave early? I just can't wrap my brain around that. And it's not like this was a free concert in the park. People paid a ton of money for the tickets, myself included. Maybe that's why I was so grumpy. I probably should have gone shoe shopping instead!