Wednesday, April 1, 2009

FOOLED



I'm not sure what, exactly, woke me this morning just after 6 o'clock. Usually I awake to the sound of Lane showering around 5:45, so at finding it already so "late," and not hearing any morning noises downstairs, I panicked a little at how behind we morning-risers were.

I should have known something was up when Michael hopped out of bed right behind me, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, squawking, "Aren't the boys up yet?"

Michael's alarm goes off every single morning at 6:19 a.m. And Michael never, Never, NEVER gets up until closer to half past 7, when I nudge him (lovingly, of course) out of bed with updates on the passing time. Michael always stumbles around for while, grumbling and groaning, his eyes half-shut, hardly speaking a coherent word until he's showered and on his way out the door a few minutes later.

So when Michael got up, on his own, before his alarm, before even his own children, before I had to go in and do any nudging at all (lovingly, of course), I really, really should have known something was up like a tall man in rumpled pajamas.

But I was too busy getting Lane out of bed, getting Evan somewhat cognizant of the situation, and getting everything else ready on this hurried, harried morning.

I started breakfast. I made Michael's lunch. I listened as Lane called his friend Cody to make sure he was awake and ready for his ride to school in just 5 more minutes...

And I tried really, really hard not to be furious at Michael as he walked around, berating people for their tardiness.

Then, he tipped the scales, and called us all to morning prayer.

Michael hasn't been to morning prayer since...I don't know...ever?

"What?!" I demanded, "Is this something new?" He'd even gotten Joshua out of bed for our little family gathering.

"I just thought," Michael cooed, "That since we're all up at the same time, we might as well have family prayer together." And, with that, he began. "Dear Heavenly Father, we thank thee for this beautiful morning, that we could all have a chance to kneel here and begin the day...and please, Heavenly Father, help my family to forgive me for what I have done to them today..."

And with that, I knew all. So did the others. We'd been had.

Evan groaned. Lane laughed. I harrumphed and walked away, definitely mad. Joshua rubbed more sleep from his eyes and asked, "What did you do? I don't get it? What did you do?"

Michael, after laughing his head off, tried to make amends by taking us all to McDonald's for breakfast. Believe you me, there was no ordering off the dollar-menu this time: it was as expensive an order as I could possibly make it! Extra-large, premium orange juices for everyone! Two of everything! And throw in lunch, while you're at it!

Then, after our return from McDonald's, Michael had to reset every single clock in the house back an hour, to the real time.

I so should have known.



Hope yours is as "fun" as ours!


P.S. I'm not sure Michael's prank will ever make it on this list (though it should), but if you're interested in some more good jokes, here's a fun place to peruse:

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Yeah for Michael, that was great! And what a dedicated jokester - I know what it took for him to get himself up earlier than necessary. But maybe he's now going to make a habit of early morning family prayer. Tell him that it's a good idea.

Tasharoo said...

That's a great one! Way to go Michael! So was it just an hour earlier? He HAD to take you all out to breakfast...we already lost an hour of sleep to the time change! The prayer was the best!!!! Were you able to finish the prayer? I'm still cracking up! This will have to be my next year plan...I usually just stick to the weird food (check out my blog)