Thursday, August 12, 2010

FORTUITOUSLY FAT



How lucky can a girl get?
I pulled this fortune while having lunch with my beloved Gliny in Ft. Collins. Thinking it a lovely list of words, I took the photograph for posterity, then promptly forgot about it amidst left overs and leaving.
Forgot about it until...several months later when I got a phone call from the principal of the school where I've been working as a substitute teacher for the last several years. A phone call during which he offered me a job.
A real job. A perfect job. A plop down into my lap, couldn't be better suited to my life sort of job. A job I wasn't looking for, but a job I happily accepted nonetheless. It's a job teaching the morning half of a second grade class.
Not that teaching has ever been known as a make-you-rich sort of profession, but teaching does bring in more money than doing nothing! And, better than the money, teaching just plain makes me feel rich inside.
Wealth, indeed, awaits me very soon.

The truth, however, is that the whole thing scares me to death.
What if I'm not any good? What if I don't know what to do? What if I'm terrible at it?
What if I fail?
There are times I'm slightly tempted to quit--quit before I even begin!
But then I think of something my voice teacher has taught me to say at times like these:
"Swim fat."

Say what? Swim fat?!
Here's the deal:
If you are fat, and you want to go swimming, you have three options.
You can wait until you drop the desired poundage, and then go swimming.
You can just not go swimming.
Or, you can swim fat.

Well, I am, admittedly, a bit doubtful of my abilities right now, and totally unsure of what I'm really facing. I'm feeling fat.

But I'm also extremely excited, and recognize how very lucky I am to have this opportunity to teach.
So, folks, I'm jumping in. Fat and all.

Wish me my fortune.


4 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Haven't heard the Swim Fat saying before. Makes me glad that I donned my swimming suit last Fri in CA. Makes me almost want to do it again. Almost.

Dana said...

Just please refrain from the string bikini. I think it's awesome - though it really cramps my getting-you-to-visit-me plans.

Anonymous said...

Yea for teaching! I'm sure your a great teacher, especially for elementary age students. I like that "swim fat" quote. I take it quite to heart.

Tutz said...

Congratulations! I think you will be a favorite teacher for some little second graders. I love the "Swim Fat" advice. I've been living fat all my life and now I will be comfortable after reading that advice. Go for it! You will be great!