Monday, December 19, 2011

CORRESPONDING

Dear Mom and Dad,

There I was, sitting on a noisy school bus, on our way to a field trip to the Natural History Museum, when I got my wake up call of the season.

I was half listening to the hub-bub around me, but mostly had my mind focused on my still-to-do-but-not-enough-time-to-do-it list. I was feeling frustrated: angry that I was the one who had to do all the shopping, water the Christmas tree (not to mention already having to buy the tree and decorate the tree!), wrap the presents I hadn't had time to buy yet, clean the house, get the goodies for a party we were invited to, etc, etc.--and apparently I was supposed to do it all without spending any money! Just before smoke started coming out my ears, a little hand tapped my arm (which also, by the way, annoyed me, because I am just that grumpy of a person), and I looked down at the offending child, probably with some degree of unpleasantness on my face. "Mrs. Vance," he said, "Why do we celebrate Christmas? What is it really all about?"

This particular student is relatively new to the area, having just moved here from a place that you and I would find rather unusual. He had recently written a journal entry at school about how this was his first year to celebrate Christmas--actually, to celebrate anything!--and he was enjoying everything around him. So, when he asked me why we celebrate Christmas, he really, truly didn't know. His question shook me from my pity-party and put me back in place.

"We celebrate Christmas to remember when Christ was born," I replied.

And, thanks to that little boy and his question, I've finally been doing just that.

May your week and mine be filled with the wonder of a child,
Keri

3 comments:

Dana said...

aptly said. thanks for corresponding.

Colin said...

i love this. i love you. thanks for being awesome and willing to share it with the world. :)

SladeMomma said...

An unforeseen benefit (blessing) of teaching kids. May they continue into the new year.