Friday, March 21, 2008

CONFUSED

Spring Break started yesterday, and I have spent the time playing with my new "toys," washer and dryer. The phone rang and I overheard Evan answer and say, "No, she's just watching the laundry. No, not washing. She's watching the laundry go around and around!"


It's true. It's just so pretty! And after nearly 52 loads in 2 1/2 days, I'm almost done! Then what will I do with my time? I know: I'll match socks! That is, I'll match them if I can ever find all the missing pairs. I have yet to figure out, but am always wondering...where do all the missing socks go?


I am also a little confused over this:


Whose bed is this? I sort of seem to recognize the Hawaiian print bedspread, but I can't recall the last time I saw it pulled up over the whole bed! I think the bed belongs to Evan--the "Y" blanket is a pretty good hint--but it may take further investigation to confirm that. Evan just doesn't make his bed!

Evan does go to prom, though! Here he is, cookie jar full of frozen water, cookies, and an Easter Egg filled with the invite, just before heading out the door to ask the lucky girl. Her name is Sydney, and she said yes by hiding Easter Eggs all over his room (no, the bed was not made), with one special egg containing her answer.


Here's what confuses me: I remember going to prom, and I am certain that I went to prom with dates who could not have been more than 16 or 17 years old. Maybe 18, tops. But all of my dates were incredibly mature, very "old" looking, and knew what was what in the world. And I was right on their level! I recall my parents being nigh-unto-ancient at the time (who knows how they've held up this long since then?!), and seriously did not have a clue about the teen age world.

Somehow, though, my son is that 17 year old prom date, AND I AM THAT PARENT!!!!!! How can that be?

I am very confused!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes the ancient parent thing. I do not yet have a high schooler (which makes sense, since I am still high school age myself, right?). But I understand the feeling ancient thing. My 8 year old asked me the other day asked me if they had Soda Pop when I was young.

SladeMomma said...

Do the fancy W&D make doing laundry fun? Do they make your laundry room classy? Do they make folding that laundry easier, more apt to get done quickly? Do they keep the matching sock from getting eaten up?

Oh, and are you more wise as a parent of a prom-goer than your ancient parents were? What do you think now about girls accepting the first boy that asks? And curfews?

jalynnie said...

wow..remember our first dance?? well, it was my first dance..and we had dinner at your parents house..yummy rice with all the toppings.. ( haystacks??).and i think you went with jeff pirente maybe because he was the first boy that asked you and your parents made you? and i went with mike ruppel...we know how THAT turned out.
and i think i wore a purple laura ashely dress with matching shoes. and uneven hair. yikes..those were the days....

Keri said...

Ah, Jalyn, you always did have the best shoes and latest hair-do...and I always did have all the rules, like going with the first boy who asked! What memories!

lovely laurie said...

And then Evan will get married and be just as young and immature and you will KNOW that you were not that way at that same age. I'm confused at how, in just a few years, kids (and society) could have lost so much maturity....I still have mine--thank goodness--but the kids these days--THAT'S another story!

Dana said...

You guys are all so OLD OLD OLD! I'm glad I'm still super young and hip! I will be your age when Avery is able to date, but Rob will be 45! I wonder what he will think...

jalynnie said...

keri bear,
i will be in SLC april 4 and 5th..email me your phone #...can we get together? shop? sing? eat???

jwebb@verabradley.com
love ya!