Wednesday, March 5, 2008

TREASURED

Despite our penniless plot, I received a superb gift yesterday:

A garage door opener. That works! Oh, happy day. I'm pretty sure that Michael exchanged the two he had purchased sometime last year for these, but no matter how he got them, I am thrilled. What a treasure!

Then, just to top things off, look what I found in the trash while I was walking the dog:


Well, the box was gone, of course, and so were the bean bags, but the basic game was still there, still intact, and still virtually spotless! If you have no idea what a great find this is, you have never taught preschool, primary, or done any activity with kids. But I have, and have a feeling I might again sometime in my life, so I know what a treasure-trove of activities this tic-tac-toe game is. And someone was just going to throw it away! I realize the kind of flack I'm opening up myself to by sharing my good fortune (and where it came from) with you, but I'm telling you, it's worth it.

Most worthwhile treasure of all, though, is that Joshua still asks me to lay down with him at night. Having inherited my two oldest sons after they were a little past the tucking in years, it has been a wonderful thing to have Joshua, who's nightly ritual since birth has been a little unusual. It's not reading a story, although we do that often. Not a review of the day, although we do that, too. Not even having blankets tucked around him. Actually, he hates that. What Joshua loves is to play with my hair. Somehow he has never noticed that I have such a poor showing of hair, and he flips and twists it until he falls asleep. He plays with his own hair, too. It is adorable and I love that it still continues. I know it won't last forever, so I count it as a treasure every night that he still asks me to put him to bed.

May your day be as filled with treasures as mine was yesterday!

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

I like that you are writing about the simple joys. One of the blessings of no money is that you start looking for those taken-for-granted joys that have been around you all along. And, I agree, Joshua's great!

The Gibbens said...

I've had a couple of nieces and nephews who've done the "play with mom's hair to go to sleep" thing... I think it's cool. I love that it facilitates up close and personal time... oh, and congrats on the find of a lifetime!!!