Sunday, October 14, 2007

ON A HAPPIER NOTE

This past week two of my friends got engaged.

On Tuesday night I got a text message from Clarissa, telling me that Eric had proposed to her at rehearsal, and she was out and about showing off her ring and getting lots and lots of congratulatory hugs. Eric and Clarissa met last year during the run of "Beauty and the Beast" at the Hale, so it was an appropriate place to celebrate their engagement, as well.




That same night my dear Carly was out to dinner with her beau, Dillon, to celebrate his birthday. Dillon began a conversation about what a lovely day it had been, and then told her there was only one thing that could make it any better. At this point Dillon walked over to where Carly was sitting, tripped on the way over, and then recovered enough to kneel and propose marriage.


What happiness! What bliss! I'm glad they shared it with me (and through me, us!).

Speaking of happy notes, last night Michael and I had the chance to attend the Utah All-State Choir Concert in the Tabernacle. I'll admit, initially I was there as a responsible parent, but not a very interested one. I was tired, the benches were hard, and there were other things that I wanted to put first on my agenda besides searching for Evan among hundreds and hundreds of high school singers.



Well, Evan was actually easy to find (he got to sit next to the girls, lucky boy!), and once the first notes of music began, I was captivated.

I have heard about the amazing acoustics of the Salt Lake Tabernacle, and I have attended countless performances there, so you'd think I'd have noticed them before. But never before have I been surrounded and saturated by such beautiful music. It was magical. I had to look around me a few times because it sounded as though there were people singing behind us! The acoustics were just so spectacular. The dynamics were astounding. The diction was exemplary. The music was glorious. The concert was mesmerizing. Afterwards Michael teased me about the tears in my eyes. And although I do cry at most anything, music concerts have really never done it for me. But WOW! What an experience it was last night. Thanks for the music, Evan.


And, finally, here's a little bit of music to share with you. It may bring tears to your eyes, but not for beauty's sake! Enjoy!

5 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Yep, loved the video, especially the bouncing on the ball/stools and the fantabulous falling ending!

And I had no idea that Evan had auditioned for AllState Choir let alone made it! Hey, clue the interested Grandma in!!! Congrats to Evan. I loved to attend the AllState choir concerts you kids sang in. The music was beautiful and the kids in that setting and in their choir robes were beautiful too. And that was only at the Lincoln Center. I can just imagine the beauty of having the concert in the tabernacle. Way to go Evan! Can I come next year?

SladePoppa said...

Michael you need some practice in following the bouncing ball. WAY TO GO YOU THREE! THANKS

Keri said...

Dad, you're out there reading this, too? So happy to love you!

lovely laurie said...

Keri, loved it all! I do remember attending the All-State Choir performance when Laralyn was in High School. Although it didn't bring tears to my eyes, I also found it absolutely amazing, and I would go to another one in a heart beat. Sadly, Bethany did not audition for the choir--maybe there's hope for Austin or Macall. On second thought--nope!

Lindsay said...

Nice job Josh. I'm very impressed!