Monday, October 1, 2007

CURIOUS

Answer me this: why, oh why would someone leave empty boxes in the cupboard?
I will never understand.

Nor, do I think, will I ever meet "Not me," although he seems to be everywhere, responsible for most everything.

Since these mysteries continue to elude me, I thought I'd take a stab at some questions from the journaling jar. Maybe I'll have more luck there...

Question #1: Do you recall any outstanding family trips or summer holidays that you experienced as a child?
Yes.

(I learned back in my education classes that you should avoid asking "yes/no" questions because they can be answered with just one word. I am no pro at this, however, as demonstrated by my asking a preschooler, "Can you say "epidermis?" "Yes," he answered. The end.)

Question #2: What would you give your child if money were no object?
A cell phone.

Question #3: Are there any family heirlooms in your possession? Tell about them.
(That question is better phrased; did you notice?)
We have some fancy plates with a "V" on them from Michael's grandmother, and a rocking chair that belonged to Evan and Lane's great-grandfather. Do those count? And the journaling jar questions are in a really, really, really old Mason jar.

Question #4: Have you ever met or worked with any famous people? Who? Where?
Sadly, no. Unless you count Joe Paur as being famous, and I guess he is if you're a "Rigoletto" Feature Films for Families fan. I also know Hank Pond, and he's in a lot of local commercials. And when I was in High School, I once tripped over and accidentally unplugged the electric cord to Bob from Sesame Street's sound system on the Lincoln Center (Ft. Collins, not New York) stage.

P.S. All our family trips were outstanding when I was a child. Anyone who gets to travel in a van that has built in bunk beds is on an outstanding trip! I think our vacations were generally camping trips, family reunions, or visiting Grandparents. I do remember going to California to go to Disneyland and Sea World. My brothers and I were so excited to see the ocean that we rushed out of the car and into the water with all our clothes on. We were certainly uncomfortable having to wear jeans and tops heavy with salt water until we made it to our next stop.
Probably the most memorable trip I ever took as a child, though, was when Jeff and I went with our parents to Boston. It was freezing cold. We watched a movie about a boy who was kidnapped. We went to the children's museum. We ate seafood. I was fascinated by a man we met who said that he didn't even own a car! I couldn't believe that was even possible.
Possibly the best summer holiday I ever had was when I was a teenager and my mom sent me to the "Singing Entertainer" camp at BYU. That was incredible. My most horrendous summer holiday also took place at BYU, and was when I went to "Especially For Youth" for the first time. I still have nightmares...a story to illustrate: they played these getting to know you games on the first night. One of the brilliant games was where everyone lays down in a row and the person on the end rolls over everyone else until they get to the end of the row, and so on and so forth until everyone has had a turn rolling over/torturing everyone else. Being somewhere in the middle, and being someone with a notoriously weak bladder...that was not a very fun game for me, nor was it a very good night to be wearing light colored pants. Enough said. Yes, nightmares...

1 comment:

SladeMomma said...

As for the empty boxes left in the cupboard, in the family in which I grew up it was "Henry" who did it. And not just empty boxes, also things broken or lost or spilled or trampled or damaged. Henry did it. Who was Henry? Shrug. Someone to blame.

As for your latest junior high comments, of course your parents were trying hard to provide you with enjoyable memories. However, I figure it would be good for everyone to have such horrendous experiences if they lead to being such a great gal as you. And that's the truth!