Friday, January 18, 2008

DONE

With a book on tape.
This one is:


It tells the story of four sisters in the Dominican Republic during the 30's, 40's, and 50's. These sisters are known as "The Butterflies" for their actions in an underground movement to overthrow the dictatorship of Rafael Trujillo.


The Butterflies

I have never heard this story. Truthfully, I've never really heard anything about the Dominican Republic, so it took me awhile to realize that this was a true and historically accurate portrayal of the Mirabal family and the political situation of the time.
Similar to The Poisonwood Bible (a must listen-to on tape, in my opinion), each sister enhances the story for the reader by telling virtually the same story, but with their own personal take on each situation.
And isn't that how we're all living life?
The book is opened and closed by the last living Mirabal sister, Dede. I probably identified with Dede most, in that she is the sister who did not get actively involved in the politics of the time. I am certain I would have been the same way. Yet for her, me, and all of us, the consequences are unavoidable.
Near the end of the book Dede shares her aversion for people who hold ceremonies to commemorate "the Butterflies,"
"...people who kept their mouths shut when a little peep from everyone would have been a chorus loud enough that the world couldn't have ignored it..."
"Maybe these aren't losses. Maybe that's the wrong way to think of them. We went our own ways, we became ourselves. Just that. And maybe that's what it means to become a free people.
And I should be glad?"
In the Time of the Butterflies (sorry, no page number, but in the epilogue)

I am struck by the question mark at the end of that sentence. The cost of freedom is high, and often inordinately skewed. I'm sure there are times and circumstances which make it difficult to be glad for something which cost so much. That question mark makes me think of how often it is that I might know the right "answer," but don't want to accept the lesson just yet.

1 comment:

SladeMomma said...

I like the first sentence of the quote about the collective sound of butterflies. It is sort of like voting or paying your little bit of tithing. So, do you recommend the book?