Friday, January 18, 2008

LATE

in getting this out...
Still, January's not over yet, so I think I'm well within the acceptable time-frame for a Best and Worst of 2007 (inspired by none other than Mother Superior)...

Best Photo:



Although I actually think Lindsay's photos of us are far better, this one, taken on Thanksgiving, is a favorite.

This one is not, and it takes the cake for Worst Photo:



I took and sent the above to my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day. You can imagine her pride and joy in her pride and joy!

Best Moment:



While playing in the waves in Mazatlan we saw school after school of black fish swim by, sometimes even close enough to touch. It was amazing! The sun was setting and the light was filtered through the water so that the fish were often back-lit, and I cannot think of anything more mesmerizing and phenomenal. I felt like I was in "The Prince of Egypt" when the Israelites are walking through the Red Sea and pass whales and fish in the walls of water. It was wonderfully magical!

Worst Moment:

The night that Michael sat the boys down on the couch and told them about their Mom's passing. It was painful.
It was amazing, however, to see them handle everything with such power and grace. That has been beautiful.

Best Baby:

My new niece, Jane, and nephew, Brennan, are the obvious picks! And they really are the best babies! The best non-obvious picks are two babies that have yet to be born!
Baby Sugiura and Baby Robinson are both miracle babies coming sometime in the next two weeks to two blessed and very surprised families that we know. I am thrilled for them all, and reminded again of how much Heavenly Father loves us, has a plan for us, and gets a kick out of His amazing surprises!

Worst Baby:

Is there such a thing?

Best Book:



Okay, okay. I don't really think this is the best book (I liked "Eclipse" far better...), but I have to admit, this series was captivating. This truly embarrasses me, but I am a fan.

Worst Book:



It really is one of the worst written, far-fetched, ridiculous books I have ever read. I repeat, I am embarrassed, but I enjoyed these books nevertheless!

Truly Worst Book goes to:



This is a sad commentary on me, because "Neighbors: the Destruction of the Jewish Community in Jedwabne, Poland" is an amazing, superbly crafted novel, and just too painful to read. It literally made me sick. We humans do some truly disgusting things to each other, and I just have no comprehension of how or why it happens. (For a more palatable but equally disturbing look at the treatment of Jewish Poles during the WWII era read Alicia: My Story. I also learned new things from Shanghai Diary.)
I'd rather believe in vampires.

Best Purchase:

Trax eyeshadow by MAC.

Worst Purchase:

Two garage door openers, neither of which open the garage door.

Best Food:

The Surf and Turf, Cashew-Crusted Halibut, and/or Peach Cobbler at Red Rock Brewery. You CANNOT go wrong at that place! A-MA-ZING!

Worst Food:

Keri's attempt at horseradish mashed potatoes. Throwing-up sounds now, please. Sadly, Lane had a friend over for dinner that night, and he gallantly tried to eat them all. Horrendous doesn't even begin to describe those potatoes...

Best Trip:

It's a toss up between our trip to Mazatlan and our trip to Colorado. We went to Mazatlan with Michael's parents to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was a lovely vacation, minus the Time Share presentations that Michael forces me to endure. Nothing is worth that torture!
We, sans Daddy Michael, went to Rocky Mountain National Park for a Slade-Family reunion in July, and that was also marvelous. I am absolutely not one for the outdoors/camping/dirt and bugs, but I have to admit, it was great fun.
Equally fun was the week that Joshua and I enjoyed together in Ft. Collins (Evan went back to Utah to work, and Lane went back for Scout camp). We went on bike ride after bike ride, lazed around with Grandma, Grandpa and the cousins, and loved every minute of it!

Worst Trip:

Again I ask, is there really such a thing?
A week with 22 other people on a house boat in Lake Powell comes close. We had some fun times, but a full and stinky potty, a boat crash into the dock, and a gas leak all over the water around the houseboat kind of put a damper on things. I don't want to do that one again anytime soon. Ungrateful, ungrateful, ungrateful girl that I am!

Best Thing Learned:

How to blog.
That tender mercies aren't always for me, but they usually come back that way.
That it's possible to move on after even the most devastating experiences.
That I've still got a long way to go.

Thanks for coming along with me!


3 comments:

SladeMomma said...

So glad that you are back to blogging. I love your thoughts. The thoughts and the pics for the best and worst are very fun. How can you possibly, even with your MAC makeup take such beautiful and such goofy pictures? Can it be the same face in both?

Dana said...

I like your Thanksgiving because you are all so "you" - particularly Lane.

I, too, loved Twilight (especially Eclipse) and am content to read mindless brain candy for the rest of my life. Who needs to learn anything besides true love!?!

jalynnie said...

um...when is the reunion? is there a date yet??
and yes, i go if you go....

love you!
gliny