Thursday, May 8, 2008

GREEN

Joshua and I got to go on a field trip to (drum roll, please)...the Landfill!

This was the second time I have been to the Landfill. The first was by mistake...when I got lost trying to find Lane's soccer game. I didn't get the scenic tour that time, unless you count driving for ages on rocky roads with nothing but the smell of the area to give you a hint of where you are, as scenic.

The second time around I got to see, and smell, it all.

Big dump trucks doing just that--dumping!
The screened fences had to be built to hold in escapee plastic sacks.

I learned several interesting things on this trip, and was happy to find that my tax dollars really are at work, both in the education arena, and in the waste management area. I am more committed to recycling, and to separating my garbage so that more recycling can be done. Here's an interesting tidbit of info: the Landfill is divided up into 12 sections, each one to be covered and planted with grass seeds as it is filled to capacity. Eventually it will be built up and made into public soccer/baseball fields. Scheduled closing of the Landfill was to take place in 2038, but with the past 5 years of voluntary recycling in Salt Lake County, the Landfill's life has been extended an additional 20 years! Hey, everyone! Let's go green! Recycling really does matter. Our "tour guide" kept encouraging the kids to vote for mandatory recycling programs; that was a bit over their heads. Hopefully they also missed her consistent mispronunciation of the word "aluminum." This woman, who is doing graduate work in environmental sciences, could only say, "Alunimun." And, in a speech about recycling, that word was said a lot.

We also visited the wildlife area across from the Landfill. It really is beautiful, and, as long as the wind blows in a favorable direction, even pleasant. That's a big if, though. The remarkable thing is that this was built at the site of the old City Dump. It was wonderful to see something lovely created from something ugly. Lemonade from lemons, so to speak.

Enjoy the life lesson there, as I enjoyed the day. It was a nice break from the normal routine of things, and I got to spend it with some really great company.

Riding the bus with goofy Joshua and his friend Ethan.

2 comments:

jalynnie said...

i once worked in a landfill..after getting too many speeding tickets. basically i cried a lot, they felt sorry for me, fed me donuts, and let me look at sewer bugs under a microscope...and let me go home after 6 hours of my 3 day sentence.

tax dollars at work.

Dana said...

I'll let Rob see this post so he'll stop griping about our manatory recycling...