Sunday, May 18, 2008

PRESUMPTUOUS

So Jalyn tagged me, right? Right. She also tagged my mother. My mother, however, isn't likely to respond to the tagging, so I'm going to do it for her. Consider it my Mother's Day gift. Belated.
Mom, you can correct (the answers, not me) as you wish.

List: 3 joys, 3 fears, 3 goals, 3 current obsessions/collections, 3 random surprising facts about yourself.

My mom's 3 joys: My mother would most likely feel stifled and stymied by only getting to list 3 joys, because, although she may seem just a little bit on the serious side in presentation, she is quite a joyful person. She finds joy in so much, and in so many around her. Let's see if I can guess just 3 of them right...
1. Her family. This includes me (well, duh), as well as my other siblings, and my father, of course. Family to my mom comprises an infinite list, with the arrows going both ways, encompassing progenitors and posterity.

2. The gospel of Jesus Christ. Everything and everyone that teaches my mom more about the gospel of Jesus Christ, whether the scriptures, church leaders, music, a well-done talk, or even a lovely morning, makes my mom joyful.
3. Learning. The new camera, the guitar lessons, the scripture study, the books on tape, the piano practicing, the new patterns, the card games, the board games...my mom finds joy in learning.

My mom's 3 fears: My mom is not a fearful person. She just digs right in and does what has to be done. But I think the following are three things that give her honest angst.
1. Money. And the constant lack thereof.
2. Failure to follow through. If my mom says she will do it, she will do it. Right now. Before it's due. At the highest possible level of achievement.
3. That her prayers aren't answered.

My mom's 3 goals:
1. Going on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
2. Losing weight.
3. Paying off debt.

My mom's 3 current obsessions/collections: Obsessions? What qualifies? Obsession seems to denote an element of going overboard, or extremism, and that just simply isn't my mom. There is so much that she enjoys--like fabric or patterns, which she has a literal ton of. And, if we're going by tonnage, then we'd have to count pictures, and shoes, and sheet music, and all her dolls. Anyway, I hereby give myself permission to change the question to read 3 current passions.
1. Taking good--I mean GREAT--pictures, and editing them well.
2. Riding her bike.
3. Visiting her family, or having them visit her.

3 random/surprising facts about my mom:
1. Her name is Gay, and this has never caused her any consternation. Not once has she tried to change it. In fact, she rather likes to say, "Hi, I'm Gay," much to our embarrassment. I will never forget when we had just moved to Ft. Collins, and my mom took us wee chillens to join the swim team. My mom was pregnant with number 7 (Hi, Colin!), and I was in complete, abject, 14-year-old mortification to see my mother extend her hand to the coach and say, "Hi, I'm Gay!" He took one look at her and replied, "Oh, no. You're not."
2. She hates watermelon.
3. She always wins board and card games. Always. Although she usually does this through her own amazing prowess, she has been known to cheat--okay, cheat is a strong word...manipulate is more like it--even her own grandchildren to their "mutual" advantage. (She calls this "strategy," and all in all, it has made them better game-players.)

Please don't be mad at me, Mom! I hope I didn't cross any lines by doing this "for" you, or by giving away any of your inner secrets. I do hope you know how much I love you, Mom. You're the greatest, and I think it would be pretty awesome if I actually did get to be just like you when I grow up!

4 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Well, gosh, oh, gee whiz...I mean (stammer, stammer)...I don't know what to say...ummm...ummm...thanks, I think! The part you got right is that you are one of my joys!

jalynnie said...

wow..keri, i think you are right on with your list! i have to add that Gay Slade is one of my favorite people..i have gotten to know her better over the past few years ( isn't it weird when people turn from someone's mom to your friend.??? it must mean we are growing up....) and this sounds just like her! yeah Gay!

Merrit said...

Did she only get the one thing right mom? I thought it was pretty right on. Love you guys!

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Keri!