Saturday, July 28, 2007

IMPRESSED

And PROUD!
This afternoon we went to see Lane and Evan perform in their first showing (two more to go next week) of "High School Musical." This is the culmination of three weeks of rehearsal and participation in a youth theater camp in Park City.


I have never actually seen the show (with the exception of the last five minutes where my friend Thayne is the dancing nerd), but I have noticed how popular it is to put on around here. Well, this afternoon's production was a great initiation into the "High School Musical" world. They did a fantastic job. It was a marvelous production--well rehearsed, well performed, and well sung; one for which I am proud to have given a standing ovation.

The show also had some really great lines. Here are a few of my favorites:

"We need to save our production from people who don't know the difference between Tony Soprano and a Tony award" Ha!

"I didn't lie. I just improvised." That is so reminiscent of Evan who used to say things like, "I didn't throw the ball. I was just rolling it through the air," and "I didn't kick his legos over. My foot just went out and the legos went into it," and "I didn't push him. My arms were just out and his back moved into them..." It was much funnier to hear such a line in a play than in real life.

"I feel so demeritorious."
"Me, too. I think." Demeritorious! Ha!

"I would rather suck the mucous from a dog's nostrils until it's skull caves in." That's a great summation of my feelings for just about any outside activity, any sports activity requiring my involvement, and any food dish consisting largely of eggs.

Finally, a personal favorite:

"It's just a musical, anyway."
"Just a musical?!" There is truly no such thing.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congrats to Evan and Lane. I'm glad it was worthy of a standing ovation.

I'm impressed that you could remember all those lines.

SladeMomma said...

I'm wondering if those lines are in the movie. I've seen the movie and surely don't remember any great lines. However, I do remember some great dance moves. Did Evan and Lane get to perform some of those?

Anyway, I always love the live stage better than a flat movie screen, no matter how large.

We saw a local stage production of Beauty and the Beast last night with Jalyn as Mrs. Potts. Very fun! Shea, Berns and Riley, here visiting, went too. The best line came from Riley seeing Mrs. Potts in her big round teapot costume wiggle/waddle across the stage: "I like her butt!" To me the best was Gaston who not only could sing but looked the part with real live biceps as big as in Disney's movie. Crazy girl to ignore him!

jalyn said...

so great to see dana and the girls and berns and shea and riley and gay at the show..and i must admit, gay- you are dead on about gaston..he is a dead ringer for the cartoon..( his muscles are REAL!) and the sweetest guy too! that crazy belle!

keri, i wish i could see evan in the show..it was so fun watching him grow this summer at camp! i love high school musical too- someday i want to play miss darbus...it seems perfect for me!

vale and craig daly are coming to the show today, so i will send a report.

lovely laurie said...

Gosh I'm feeling soooo left out. I want to see a good play and/or musical! I want to have a girl's night out! I want to remember good lines from anything! I want to be able to laugh at the obnoxious things my kids say! I want. . . .