Saturday, September 15, 2007

SOCIAL

Even though my husband is still out of town, I got to go out on a date. Of course, I had to ask him out, and make him actually leave his Wii long enough to leave the house, but Evan and I spent some time together, nonetheless!
Lane is at a movie with a friend.
Joshua got invited to the University of Utah football game (even got to sit in the VIP box seats).
Michael is vacationing. Still. Again.
That leaves me, Evan, the dog, and the bird. I didn't want to hang out with the dog or the bird, so Evan and I went to dinner and then to Best Buy. He checked out the Wii and DS lite games while I looked at cameras (our camera is always out of town with that cute guy I married) and tried to find the right replacement battery for my cell phone. Not too exciting, I know, but it rejuvenated me just enough to come home and scrub the grout on the bathroom floor.
Speaking of dating, though, Evan is going out on a real date with a real (and really cute) girl. He had great plans of asking a girl named Brittany to Homecoming. I bought him all the candy bars and poster board he asked me for in order to do it. When the candy bars and poster board were still on his floor several days later I asked him about his asking her.
"Oh, I already have a date," he said.
"With Brittany?" I queried.
"Nope, with Anthea. We were playing some songs on the piano at school, so I decided to make up song that asked her to Homecoming. Her eyes were really shining."
Ah. My son is a romantic.
He also has really good taste. Not only did he go to dinner tonight with a once-upon-a-time HOT mama, but Anthea is truly darling. And fun. And smart. And has it all together. Evan and Anthea have known each other since elementary school, and I think Evan has had his eye on her just as long.
I'm sure that Anthea just sees Evan as a really good friend, and a really good guy (and that's just fine with me. He is a really good friend and a really good guy, and that's enough at age 16!). He is so sweet, and tries so hard to do what's right. But Evan's goodness is not the kind that dumb high school girls usually appreciate. I know I wouldn't have at that age. Apparently I didn't know how to appreciate a really good guy until I was way out of college! I hope the people Evan knows now, though, can appreciate him for who he is (I hope I remember to, too!). That's probably what all parents hope for their children.

Imagine anyone not appreciating that.

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

But I do have a really cute picture of Evan taken this summer. I'm sending it to you right this minute and I hope you put it up on your blog right away. Here it comes...

Lindsay said...

I love romantic, kind-hearted, wonderful, sweet Evan. Happy Homecoming date too!