Friday, November 9, 2007

FEELING PATRIOTIC

Marianne, my mother in law, and Lane, my son, and I went to a concert Tuesday night performed by the United States Air Force Band and the Singing Sergeants (the Air Force Choir). It was phenomenal. I know this not only because of what I heard in my ears and felt in my heart as I listened to the music, but also because Lane told me afterwards that he didn't completely hate it.

One of the songs they performed was "America the Beautiful." It was so glorious. The YouTube video doesn't do it justice, but at least it's a good reminder to me of what I heard, and what I saw a few years ago when Michael and I went to Washington D.C.

I suppose the entire concert may have seemed even more poignant to me because it took place on voting day. I had my "I voted" sticker on, and listening to those American songs was very overwhelming. I felt such gratitude for this country that we live in and for its governing system.

Yes, I voted that day, and yes, one half of the items I voted for were voted down, but we all had a say in the matter. That is what matters. I hope you made it matter.

So enjoy the video and the song. Hopefully it will inspire each of us. At the very least it might get us traveling to Washington D.C. or another one of the great historical sites of our country. Hopefully it will also inspire us to do something great, like vote when the opportunity comes, or to raise another person higher, or to stand for a cause we believe in. The freedom to do that is what makes America BEAUTIFUL.



P.S. Alma 58:40 "But behold, they have received many wounds; nevertheless they stand fast in that liberty wherewith God has made them free; and they are strict to remember the Lord their God from day to day; yea, they do observe to keep his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments continually..." That is how we do it.

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Hear! Hear! You made me feel patriotic this morning reading your thoughts. Thanks.

The other day I saw some pictures of the American flag that I really liked, followed a couple of links and found these from Iraq: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=flag&w=56299434%40N00
Take a look.

Lindsay said...

Oh, seeing those pictures made me so sad. And glad. Glad that I had lived there and seen so many wonderful places. Sad that I don't get to see them again nor see more of them. I want to go back!!!