Monday, November 19, 2007

GLAD HE'S NINE!

And super glad he's MINE!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOSHUA!

Yes, a very happy Birthday to you, Joshua! You have been an absolute joy in our lives. You are smart, kind, witty, and (although you might be slightly picky when it comes to eating) you like the same birthday cake as me! Angel Food Cake with strawberries and whipped cream--YUM!!

The first thing I heard after you were born was not, "It's a boy!" or, "He's here!" or any other much anticipated proclamation. Instead I heard the nurse exclaim, "Look at those feet!" Your feet were so big that everyone was amazed. I had purchased darling little white dress shoes for your blessing day which you never fit into; in fact, your first shoes were a size 5! I bring that up because people often comment on how tall you are, and, judging by your shoe size (your feet are bigger than mine!), how tall you're likely to be as a grown up. They all expect you to be a great basketball player. I'm sure you would be, if basketball interested you much. You'd rather be skiing on a winter Saturday, than making it to any Saturday basketball game. And anyway, if you had your way, you'd be playing football!

Too bad your mom's too mean to put you on a team...

When I was pregnant with you, your dad and I were so positive that you were going to be a girl. You are definitely anything but! Still, you did look an awful lot like your cousin Jane when you were a baby (minus her super-blue eyes). Aunt Dana might disagree, and Jane is definitely prettier, but until I learn how to scan your baby pictures in, Jane's face is the closest resemblance I can find!

I hope Aunt Dana won't mind me thinking that you looked an awful lot like Carson when you were little, too. I know that's not entirely possible, since Carson looks just like his handsome daddy, but this is my blog, so I can believe what I want.

You had a great conversation with your Awesome-Dude Grandpa on your birthday. He asked you questions in typical crazy Grandpa lingo (where else would you learn words like "vituperative," "apocryphal," and "malodorous"?); I loved overhearing this:

Grandpa: Well, Joshua, I have a very important (although I'm sure he didn't use a normal word like "important." It was most likely something I'd have to look up in the dictionary to spell, but "important" was the meaning) question to ask you: Do you like being Joshua?
Joshua: Yes.
(You are not a man of many words, Joshua.)
Grandpa: So, Joshua, what did you learn while you spent a whole year being eight?
Joshua: To be kind.
Grandpa: That's a great thing to learn, Joshua.
(At this point Grandpa began telling you the etymology of your name, being derived from the Hebrew form of Jesus, etc, etc. or some such stuff...We actually just named you Joshua because I like the name, not for any sort of meaning or importance...)
Well, Joshua, are you going to be kind everyday when you're nine?
Joshua: Probably not.
Grandpa: That's probably true.

Kind or not, Joshua (and you are mostly kind), you are LOVED. We are so glad to have you in our family. I'm so excited to get to know you through the years. Thanks for nine fabulous ones. We love you.



2 comments:

Dashing Darrell and Lovely Laurie said...

Nine year old boys ARE pretty adorable, but Joshua is probably the second most lovable, hugable, kissable one around (Shane being the first--but second is good). BUT Joshua DOES have the most magnificent mom any nine year old could ever want (his mom beats Shane's mom any day). Love ya!

SladeMomma said...

I also LOVE JOSHUA, even though he said a total of 5 words to me, not all in a row, when I called him to say "Happy B-day." I figure he just wanted to get back to his cousins. Glad to know that he give monosyllabic responses to others also.

And Joshua is also artistic and math-smart (definitely get's that from his mom!), diligent in his school work, a great friend and brother, sensitive and caring, but he does not like to perform - yet.

Can't wait to see Joshua (and others) in 1-1/2 weeks!