Sunday, August 19, 2007

MUSICAL

This morning Lindsay, Dana, and I sang in church. In true Slade-style, we got together and practiced for about half an hour before church, and that was it. This sort of thing makes my husband crazy, because he would want to practice daily for at least 3 weeks. Also true to Slade-style, we were fabulous--made-up words/parts/and all. This sort of thing should make us repent and start practicing our musical numbers at least 3 weeks prior to performing, but, like I said, we were fabulous. Why fix what ain't broke?
I would like to thank my mother for making this morning's music possible. I have a billion jumbled memories of our family standing/sitting/slouching/grouching around the piano, sheet music in hand, as she would lead us in some choral arrangement that we were to sing somewhere together. Oh, how often I heard our family referred to as "The Slade Family Singers!" It made me crazy!
And now I miss it.
I am so grateful for the skills our mother taught us. Our ability to read music has influenced each and every one of our lives for good. Being able to hear and sing parts has brought me so many wonderful opportunities. Recognizing the musicality of a piece, or knowing how to enhance it, has given me great joy. And although I am barely proficient at the piano, being able to pluck out a piece or two has enabled me to participate in so many positive activities. Additionally, I'm even grateful for the skill of flubbing and faking my way through a song.
Thanks for the music, Mom.
And now it's time for Lindsay, Emma, and me to go watch High School Musical 2. I hope it's as good as the three singing Slades were this morning!

3 comments:

lovely laurie said...

Hey! I would have liked to heard you and Lindsay and Dana sing in church (or anywhere for that matter)! You truly don't know how blessed you are until you no longer have the benefits of that blessing close at hand (i.e. your mother). I am not musical--all the Lofgreen music got "used up" long before it got to me, and you will never know the years that I have wished that I had some talent to pass on to my kids. We can practice everyday for 3-weeks straight and still we won't sound good. I beg and plead and threaten my kids to practice some sort of musical something (piano, guitar, voice, drums, etc.) but only to have them pound something out for a few minutes and then tell me they hate music and/or me! Keep on singing in true Slade-style--I love it!!!

SladeMomma said...

On the other hand, what marvels could be done, how high could the Slade bar be raised, if we did practice? But thanks for your compliments. Years of previous practice to learn skills does substitute well for practicing now when time is scarce. I'm just glad you are still singing! I just wish I'd been there to play for you - one of my particular joys.

divabee said...

do you think that is what happens when you have a family that grows up singing?? i HATE singing with my family...not because we sound bad, but it STRESSES me out to just throw it together at the last minute...and it always sounds fantastic...and then i sort of do that same thing when i get ready to sing somewhere..oh brother. so i guess i don't Hate the singing with them, i actually love that..it is the gearing up to it that makes ie a basket case! :)

and i can relate...do you remember how we used to be called the "VAN WEBBS"... you know, like the von trapps, only we had a grey conversion van that we drove around and sang in. on trips. or just to the grocery store. singing along to acapella spirituals...it is a wonder that i am as cool as i am. :)