Sunday, August 5, 2007

HUNGRY!

Today is Fast Sunday, and, as many an immature Mormon will tell you, it is anything but fast. We did get to have dinner at my Aunt Laurie's house, though, so it is true that good things come to those who wait! Thanks, oh Lovely One!

In Sunday School we talked about the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit poured out upon the people gathered together in celebration of this feast. Many wonderful things happened, and the people were able to speak in tongues (see Acts, chapter 2).

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine
.

Those little scriptures reminded me of a fellow I knew in Japan who called me "Dorunku Shimai" (Sister Drunk). I always thought he called me this because I was so happy--this was in my last area, and I really was happy: I loved the people, I loved the work, I loved my companion, and I loved being almost done. After reading these scriptures again today, though, I would like to think that I seemed drunk, like the New Testament people, because I was filled with the Holy Ghost. I'd even like to believe that I could speak in tongues when testifying of Christ. Yeah. I'd like to think that.

Most likely, I was just a little crazy.

I would like to tell you, though, that I have felt the Holy Ghost many times throughout my life. I felt it just today while listening to other's bear testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. I felt it this afternoon when Joshua offered a sweet but simple prayer that our friends' baby will be born healthy. I felt it yesterday as I entered the chapel for a Stake baptism. I felt it as I played the piano and heard the congregation sing "Scripture Power." I felt it when I worked outside in the yard with my family. I felt it when Michael held my hand in the kitchen. And those are just some recent moments.

37 ¶ Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

I have been pricked in my heart, too, and know that what I should do is tell you that I know Jesus Christ loves me. I know that He sees me for me, rotten stinking inside secret weaknesses and all, and only wants me to be true to who I really am, and will love me all the way there. He is my Savior. He reaches my reaching, and lifts me to a higher place every time I am ready to climb. I am grateful to have the Holy Ghost as my constant companion. I have been comforted, taught, guided, and witnessed to through the influence of the Holy Ghost. I also know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for me. I even know that I am fulfilling that plan, at least in part. My heart tells me so. And the thing is, I know that these things are true for you, too, and that you can know it just like me. The Holy Ghost will tell you how.

26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Yoo-hoo! Is your phone ringing?

Now, for some Sunday evening questions-and-answers...

Question #1: "What was your favorite activity between the ages of 5-10?"
Reading.
Question #2: "Write a want ad that describes you."
I can't. A want ad implies that I want to be wanted somewhere else, or why would I be advertising? And I don't want to be anywhere but here.
Question #3: "Describe your wedding dress."
It was white and shiny. It had long sleeves. There was a kind of lacy fabric at the top that my mom and I drove to Mexico (from El Centro, CA) to buy. I think it is what you would call an A-line, but I could be completely wrong about that. I wouldn't fit into it anymore. I am not wrong about that, although it is sick and wrong that I am a bigger woman now, and not in a good way. My cousin Britt wore it as her wedding dress, as well. The back of it got a scorch mark on it from the brake light in the trunk of the car Michael and I drove back to Utah from our reception in Colorado. I have no idea where my dress is now. Maybe my mom's closet? I guess I won't be wearing it to the prom anytime soon.
Question #4: "Describe a typical day in Jr. High."
Painful.
Enough said.
I would be depriving you, though, if I didn't give you a little insight into my Jr. High life. What should we start with? The boys who barked at me as they walked past in the halls? How about the "friends" I made when I first moved to Colorado, the ones who's favorite joke was something about "Master Bates"? It took me a few years before I clued into that one. Then there was the fabulous CSU basketball game where Bryan Haynes et al yelled across the bleachers, "Keri Slade hurts..." several times before my dad stormed up about eight rows of bleachers to grab Bryan by the collar and instruct him in a manner I can only imagine. There was the one school dance I dared attend; a spectacular event which left my bum sore from sitting the whole time. Lunch time was exceptionally lonely. So were school assemblies. I could go on, what with glorious glasses, beautiful braces, and pretty pimples (I remember the afternoon I almost passed out from the pain when I accidentally bumped my zit on a window I was looking through). But let me close with a personal favorite, my memories of Jr. High P.E.: as if it weren't bad enough to be the proverbial "last one picked," I also got to be the first one in my row for daily stretches and jumping jacks--jumping jacks which were invariably punctuated by the expulsion of stinky gas which, unfortunately, has not been limited to just my Jr. High years. Just thought you'd like to know.

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

I've always laughed at your descriptions of junior high and agonized a little for having let my first born be the brunt of jokes (could I have done more, bought her the right brand of jeans, got her contacts, changed dermatologists?), but then I remember that you weren't so "out of it" in high school. So maybe those junior high years were needed to polish the duckling into the swan. I bet most swans have some junior high stories to tell.

I enjoyed more your comments on the scriptures. It is fun what insights can be gained by those "little" verses, the ones that aren't usually highlighted.

And how was Artemis Fowl 4?

lovely laurie said...

Oh Keri, I love you so very! Isn't it a good thing that Jr. High doesn't last too long? Didn't we ALL feel like that? Thanks for being brave enough to put it into words--your words are wonderful!

Now I should be embarrassed that I didn't have any lucid insights yesterday at church--I only thought about the green chili cooking at home!

You, indeed, have turned into a beautiful swan--the Swan Princess!