Tuesday, April 8, 2008

DONE

During rehearsal on Saturday I read this book:


Many of you will recognize this book, since it has been around a long time (published in 1946, I believe), and is on many an elementary school reading list--generally a third grade book. I recognized the book as I passed by it in the library, and checked it out just for fun. And it was fun to remember reading it. I also remember coloring in all the pages because they were so blah to me in their blurry grey mistiness.

I am certain that I did not get the full import of this book when I read it back in elementary school. I probably hadn't hurt or been hurt enough to recognize just how easily we can wound each other. At least I hope that's the case. But it was a timely tale this time, since just a few weeks ago we had a cast member quit the show because of some unkind words she overheard in the bathroom. Very few people actually ever set out to hurt someone else, but it sure happens a lot just the same. I suppose that's probably because very few people actually ever set out not to get hurt. And probably even fewer of us ever set out to not hurt. I'd like to join the ranks of the latter two groups, but I am a slow learner, and recently caught myself complaining about a different cast member, despite the recent lessons I should have learned.

If only I'd read this book sooner...or maybe if I just had a hundred dresses myself, I would be a fulfilled lady and not have room for any other sort of malice or malcontent the rest of my days, making me the sweetest, most well-tempered Keri out there...Ah, probably not. But there are always shoes!

2 comments:

jalynnie said...

you are cute! i had so much fun..let's do it again..and i will teach you the trick of knowing so many songs!!

SladeMomma said...

I read this book last year and liked it. Don't remember reading it as a kid, however. I enjoy the vision of a hundred different dresses plastered all over the school room. It is like making paper doll dresses which I like to do.

BTW I took 280 pictures of Merrit and she deleted them down to 58. When you start with that many, some are bound to be good. So plan on it when you come this summer.