Sunday, April 20, 2008

INTERESTED

Lindsay posted a fantastic little blog entry about her son Slade (Happy Birthday, Slade!). Included was a short list of questions, which I found interesting to read. My particular favorite was finding out that Slade is embarrassed by his sister Emma doing dumb things--Ha!--and that he HATES the 1-2-3 rule. It was all so very Slade, and I was happy to know that Lindsay had captured this moment of Slade so very well.
So I decided to copy her.
Here are my children in a brief question-and-answer nutshell:

JOSHUA:
What is your favorite food? Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Who is your best friend? Why? Hudson, because I’ve known him a long time and we like the same things and like playing with each other.
What makes you laugh? I don’t know…lots of stuff. If someone says something funny or if I’m being tickled.
What is your favorite movie? Stay Alive
What are you most afraid of? Falling off of the trampoline when I’m trying to do a back flip.
What embarrasses you the most? Being pants-ed or farting (which he did right then, by the way).
What is your favorite music? I like to listen to rap and rock, and I think that’s the same thing that Lane likes to listen to.
What makes you really angry? When someone gets in an argument, and it's usually over the stupidest things.
What is your favorite activity? Soccer
If you were parent for a day, which rule would you get rid of? Probably the job rule, having to do all your jobs before playing.
What do you want to be when you grow up? A UPS driver or a teacher or in the military.
Do you think it would be hard to be a mom or a dad? Why? Yes, because your kids don’t listen and they always do bad stuff, and no, because you get to stay up late and watch movies.
If you could have a magical power, what would you choose? Flying. Actually, I would choose everything.
What three things do you think you are good at? Soccer, football, and making people laugh, especially at school.
What is the best thing about being nine? You get to have the Holy Ghost, and just to be older.
What is the best thing about being YOU? I can make people laugh at school.

LANE:
What is your favorite food?
Top Ramen, chicken flavor
Who is your best friend? Why? Cody, because we have lots of similar qualities…he’s my brother from another mother.
What makes you laugh? Cody
What is your favorite movie? Stay Alive
What are you most afraid of? Spiders
What embarrasses you the most? My mom
What is your favorite music? Hip hop/rap
What makes you really angry? Sometimes my mom, but nothing really.
What is your favorite activity? Soccer
If you were parent for a day, which rule would you get rid of? The no friends on week-days rule.
What do you want to be when you grow up? A pilot or an architect
Do you think it would be hard to be a mom or a dad? Why? Kind of, because you have to go to work and parent your children so that they don’t make bad decisions.
If you could have a magical power, what would you choose? I would have super speed.
What three things do you think you are good at? Soccer, skateboarding, talking.
What is the best thing about being fifteen? Getting my permit, but I haven’t gotten it yet, but I probably should take that test soon.
What is the best thing about being YOU? I’m unique in my own ways. I bring the party. I can always make people laugh at what I say, but most the time it’s pretty stupid.

EVAN:
What is your favorite food? That’s a tough one…I think overall, salad. Probably taco salad.
Who is your best friend? Why? Well, Jacob, but the truthful answer would be Jesus because He knows me better than I do and He actually knows how to help me in the time I need His help and comfort.
What makes you laugh? Funny videos or funny people
What is your favorite movie? I don’t have one.
What are you most afraid of? Myself. I’m afraid of doing the wrong thing and that it will affect me in the future.
What embarrasses you the most? Dirty pants, when you’re standing in front of a whole crowd and you’re afraid people are going to see it (this was very telling since we had just come home from a fireside where Evan was called up in front to help...).
What is your favorite music? Classical
What makes you really angry? brothers
What is your favorite activity? Singing, or composing, actually.
If you were parent for a day, which rule would you get rid of? None of them, the reason being is that I know that kids don’t want to obey them in the first place, but they’re all there to help you in the long term.
What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to either continue on with my music or go into a designing or engineering field.
Do you think it would be hard to be a mom or a dad? Why? Almost definitely, with just what they have to go through with their children everyday…paying for the bills everyday, unless one of their children works at Wendy’s and then that would make it better. There’s just all that stress they have to go through every day, but I’m sure it’s worth it.
If you could have a magical power, what would you choose? If I would have one specific power, I would like to know how to help other people to make other people’s lives happier.
What three things do you think you are good at? Composing, singing, and using my imagination
What is the best thing about being seventeen? That I’m older, I’m more mature, I’m now facing the real world more than just a regular kid, I’m dating and meeting girls, and gaining a social life, and I’m starting to prepare for adulthood.
What is the best thing about being YOU? I’m very kind and generous and I’m willing to help as much as I can, and I’m patient most of the time.


Those are my boys! I'm thrilled to get to know them! I hope you're lucky enough to know them, too.

5 comments:

SladeMomma said...

I loved that! And it did indeed show them as the individuals they are. But where are the pictures to go with the entries. Lindsay's had pictures!!!

That's okay, you're forgiven. Besides, some of the things the boys said gave me a chuckle this morning, i.e. Lane being both embarrassed and angered by his mom (must be 15!), the farting (I can imagine Josh saying it embarrasses him and then promptly doing it.), Josh liking the same music that Lane likes of course (a little big-brother hero worship going on there?), all of Evan's Pollyanna (or would that be Pollyandy?) answers, except that is truly who Evan is to his core. I note that he only did not claim to make people laugh. Oh yes, and the tough question for Evan being his favorite food knowing that he loves food, all food and lots of it. So, thanks for sharing that. Now for the pictures...

jalynnie said...

wow..that evan. not even the same kid as last year.,.he is growning up!

Colin said...

amen to what mom said. it's fun to see how each of them are so very themselves.

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh Keri. Could Evan be more perfect. His answers were so cute!

The Gibbens said...

Wow! they sound like some really great boys- and you know that must mean they have really great parents! Seems like just yesterday we were kids on playing on the ranch, I can't believe you now have a 17 year old!!! It's craziness, but like i said, sounds like you and your hubby are doing a bang up job!