Friday, August 29, 2008

OUSTED

School started this week and already I have been expelled! Kicked out! Supplanted!
Not from school, exactly, but from my growing children's lives!


First day of school, and Joshua left me to lock up his bike while he scouted for friends. When I found him again he turned with a quick, "Bye, Mom." When I didn't get the clue fast enough he was more emphatic. "Bye, Mom! Mom, 'bye!!"

Ah, how I smiled at the First-Grade Parents, with their cameras and their tear-streaked faces...Just you wait until Fourth Grade hits, you Still-Needed Grown-Ups!


Lane, the Dude, whispered, "You're not really going to follow me, are you?" when I started to tag along at the sophomore orientation. Parents were invited, BTW. In fact, they were encouraged to attend. I ended up waiting outside on the high school steps (thank heavens for a good book) the 45 minutes it took Lane to orientation-ate by himself, reconnect with his peeps, and then come outside to ask if he could go hang out at a friend's house. It's not as though I had anything better to do with my time than sit around and wait on Lane's whim and fancy. For reals. I didn't.


Then there's Evan. The only one who still doesn't mind introducing me to his friends. He does mind, though, when it's time to get picked up from school (I had the car that day) and he's talking to a girl. Nary a "howdy-do" or a "thanksforcomingtogeme, Mom." Nope. Instead I got, "I'm just going to walk home." Translation: Leave me be!

The weaning has been slow and gradual, as well as normal and natural, I realize. But when the Mommy-I-don't-need-you-quite-so-much-anymore monster reared it's precocious little head and bit my nurturing hand this morning, I was, admittedly, quite taken aback.

There was this play-date planned for after school.


There was this ensuing conversation about it:

"You know you don't have to pick me up from school today," said the Big Little Guy.
"I don't mind," Mother responded.
"I know. But today I can just walk home without you."
"You mean you don't want me to walk home with you, right?"
"Right. Well...you can walk behind us, I guess. If you want. Far behind us."

A zoom lens does come in handy once you've been relegated to the back.

3 comments:

SladeMomma said...

I just read your blog entry after preparing my SS lesson on Alma's Stripling Warriors. You know from the scriptural account how they loved and trusted their mothers who had taught them. There's a T-shirt that says something like "The Stripling Warriors were Momma's Boys." Indeed they were but their mommas didn't go with them to war except in their hearts. I betcha that the three Vance boys are Momma's Boys at heart also but needing to fight their own fights, face their own challenges, slew their own dragons, all the while remembering (and not doubting) that which their mother has taught them.

Dana said...

I just finished a conversation with Rob about wanting the day to come when my children wouldn't need me so much - all at the same time. Are you saying it is sad when it hits? I shouldn't want it so badly!?

Keri said...

Dear Dana,
I don't know if it is sad. It's actually rather exciting. They're being and becoming, and I think that means Michael and I are doing it right.
Still, don't want it too badly, because it will come either way. And the moments (sappy as it sounds) won't come back. Awhhh...
I lovest thee and thine!