Saturday, August 30, 2008

SWOONING

I am a sucker for a man with an accent. What other explanation is there for my absolute love of Jamie in Outlander (or, should I say, Davina Porter, reading Jamie in Outlander), my nodded "Uh-huh"and heart-felt "Awh" at the end of (an otherwise stupid book) Austenland, my mild obsession with the guy who dies right at the beginning of "P.S. I Love You," as well as a persistent yearning for Pierce Brosnan ever since my teenage years of surreptitiously viewing "Remington Steele" when my homework wasn't done? Yes. I am a sucker for a man with an accent.

Apparently I am not alone. Case in point: that one time that I went to Sophomore Orientation with Lane and he made me go away...yeah, that time...Well, before heading out to the concrete steps to read my book, I went to the Counselors' office to try and correct something on Lane's transcript. There's a new guy there in the Counselors' office. He's not very tall and he looks really young and he's got kind of funny teeth and his hair is thinning and sticking up all over in a not cool way. But he's got this accent. And he's just gorgeous as soon as he talks.

Evan's friend's mom was in the office, too, trying to rearrange her senior son's schedule. She asked Accent-Man a question about said schedule, to which Accent-Man replied in his British accent. Then he walked away.

Marianne turned to me with a dreamy look in her eyes and said, "I have no idea what he just told me to do, but I sure like how it sounded!"

I can understand the sound of that!

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Well, if you moved to Australia, Michael would have an accent. Or England or South Africa or New Zealand. That plus being tall, (kinda dark) and handsome, the ladies there will swoon for him. Do you dare take such a chance?

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on that. I met a man a while back that was a bit overweight, and balding, but as soon as he started talking in the Scottish accent, I couldn't even see what he looked like anymore.