Tuesday, August 26, 2008

PLAYING CATCH-UP

Once upon a time, I went to a demolition derby. Then, a year later, I went again.

This is something that Michael and the boys have been attending for a few years, and something that promises to be an annual excursion for the whole fam now. I can't say that I am, exactly, a fan of crashing cars, flying mud pellets, or geysers made of antifreeze. But I do enjoy my men, and they sure seem to enjoy the crashing cars, flying mud pellets, and antifreeze geysers.

Besides, they have fireworks at the end. And you can bring in treats. Give me food, and I'll pretty much sit through anything...

We certainly struggled to stay happily seated (more like "squashed") in the car on the ride home, though. Some surreptitious fellow let his methane flow and it was STINKY. It was also followed by a rousing chorus of, "It wasn't me. It wasn't me." I told them all, "Well, you know it wasn't me, because my farts smell like roses." Immediately Joshua cried out, "Then fart, Mommy! Please, fart!"

I don't remember how she smelled, but sweet little niece Hannah (and her sisters...) surely was pretty as roses--and daisies--on the day of her baptism. I'm glad we got to be there for that special occasion. I'm sad we missed out on the luncheon afterwards, but I guess it was enough to be fed by the Spirit...



Speaking of special occasions, here are some pictures from the Pioneer Day Parade I sat through, despite minimal snackage, on the 24th of July.


My favorite exhibition.



Some more of the fun. Note Joshua playing with Michael's hair (along the wall).

And here's me on one of the last Saturdays of summer, sitting on the boat, blissfully supplied with a good book and a great assortment of food.



We spent a lovely day at Utah Lake with Lane's friend Cody and, later on, Colin and his friend/roommate Joe. Evan didn't come with us because--weird kid--he wanted to work.



Lane and Cody, doing their thing...and their own hair.


Colin and Joe.


Michael, a.k.a. Craziest of all the crazies.



The little dude, being not little.


Me again...(I promise it's a different picture from before. See--my feet are on different sides of the boat.)


All the crazies, right before "bubble jumping" into the bubbles of the speeding, whirring, spinning, very sharp motor blades. Joe had to reassure me several times that physics makes it entirely impossible for them to land anywhere near the motor...Still, I can't say I liked the whole thing.


But they did!

Colin came later to visit us in Salt Lake, and here he is, sitting on me, doing some version of what he calls "The Flying Burrito." That is not a snack. It is, rather, torture. This picture does not capture the shaking and squashing he was doing to me. Sounds bad. Feels worse. And some people wonder why I have to lay around reading books all day to recuperate...


All the young males in my house laid around for a long time the next day, but I did eventually take Colin and the boys bowling. It was rather entertaining--especially when Colin slipped and fell on his cute little behind. But, sadly, it remains undocumented, as my camera was at home, charging.

Here's to fun times, though. CHARGE!

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Was your book at the Demolition Derby? Do you think God invented books to help keep everything in balance, i.e. moms and their boys' activities? I just started "Reading Lolita in Tehran." Seems that is what it is saying.

Thanks for feeding, entertaining and having patience with your baby bro. You know he loves you.

Dana said...

Bubble jumping? I'll pass on that and try the double kneeboarding you were sporting - that looked like fun. I also enjoy reading a good book while sunning in the boat - Breaking Dawn was a good one for such a venture. Glad you're having so much fun with your boys...who are very "boy".