Thursday, July 2, 2009

TEARY

I just attended a funeral for a boy I've never met.
It made me teary.

The Thomas family flew to Utah from Maine to celebrate their daughter's wedding. The next day, their 16-year-old son Clayton died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the family cabin.

Certainly their family will never be the same again.

And, if this young man's funeral means anything, I hope the same can be said of me.

I went to the funeral as a "representative" of my sister Dana and the Ft. Collins family Slade. You see, before moving to Falmouth, Maine the Thomas family lived in Ft. Collins and were members of the same ward (church congregation) my family attends. Nancy, the mom, was my sister's Young Women's leader, and although I was long gone by this time, I still heard many a story and effusive chorus of praise about Dana's Young Women's leader. She played an awesome part in my sister's life.

So, when Dana called me yesterday and told me the situation, I knew I had to be there. For Dana and Rob. They'd do the same for me anywhere, anytime.

May I just say, I was honored to be present at this young man's funeral. I am touched by his goodness, even greatness. His family was blessed to have him. I am lucky to have heard about him.

Beyond that, I am lucky and blessed by the tender reminder today of God's love and plan for each of us. There are times that life seems so very unfair and so utterly chaotic that it's difficult to believe there is a purpose and plan in the inevitable pain we all suffer at some point (many points), and to some degree.

But,

There is. I feel it inside.

Paraphrasing some of the speakers, here's what I was reminded of today:
Before we were born, each of us was taught about the coming life we would experience if we chose to accept God's plan and, with it, mortality. We knew that on Earth we would feel joy, and sorrow. Success, and disappointment. Happiness, and heartache. We knew that this life would be a trial, a test of sorts, to help us to grow and reach our personal potential. This is God's great plan, a plan of happiness. A plan of progress. We fall, we get up. We stretch, and we grow.

We also make mistakes. Sometimes painful ones. Sometimes things hurt us. Sometimes we hurt ourselves. But always, there is a way through the pain. Always, that way can be through our Savior, Jesus Christ. We can be better despite our pain, and because of His. God's plan is a plan of redemption. God's plan makes us more than we would be by ourselves.

Today we gathered with a family in pain. We gathered, with hugs and tears, to bear each other up under the burden of things that happen in life. We were there, we are here, because of God's plan. And it was the right place to be.

An aunt said it well. "Today we are here because of that plan. We accepted it, knowing full well what it would bring us. Now it is our duty to accept, with faith, the consequences that are beyond our control."

I've never met this boy, Clayton Thomas. I'm not even sure if I've ever met the Thomas parents, although I did do a brief stint of floor staining in Maine with Whitney and Dallin last summer. However, in consequence of this boy's great life I was moved to tears; not just tears of sadness and pain for the family, but tears of the deepest tenderness and love. I do know that Jesus Christ lives and loves me. I do know that God has a plan for us all. I do know that we are not left alone. Clayton knew that too, and lived a life full of zest, kindness, and radiance because of it. He modeled his life after the Savior, Jesus Christ, and I would like to try to do that, too.

Thank you, Clayton. You will be missed. Hopefully, you will be emulated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that makes me so sad! Nancy was also my YW leader. I remember how beautiful her children were. I remember when Clayton was born. I'm so sorry for their loss.

SladeMomma said...

We all need the reminder to put things in perspective every so often. We did understand the plan and agree to it. But we are often such children who forget that there were to be consequences so we complain when those consequences aren't to our liking. I really believe that Clayton is alive and happy somewhere else. His passing is an opportunity to see if we can live as well as we profess to believe. Thanks for writing that beautiful post.