Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MARY

I recently visited a friend's house and saw a small plaque there that read,
"Have a Mary Christmas."


I've been thinking a lot about that.
What was Mary like? What was it she thought and felt, holding that new baby of hers? How was it that she was so willing? How is it that she was so worthy? How is it that she was ready and able to fulfill her role in this world? How could I emulate such an exemplary woman? And just how do I even get to the place where I would really want to be like Mary?
If I were Mary...

"Behold the Handmaid of the Lord..."
I would decide in my mind and heart right now to say "yes" to whatever is asked of me at any time.

"Be it unto me according to thy word."
I would have stronger faith in the power of the priesthood and the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

"My soul doth magnify the Lord."

My actions, from inside out, would be in line with God's directions for me, and done with His purposes as my guide.

"For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name."

I would recognize God's hand in my life in all things, and, in seeing His goodness to me in the past, trust in His plan for me in the future.

"How shall this be?"

I might question, "How," but I would move on in faithful action from there, knowing that "with God, nothing shall be impossible."

"But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." "And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him."

This I think I do, in that I constantly marvel, with their father, at my own sons. My pondering, my feelings, my decisions are centered around them, as I'm sure any parent's are.

In looking at all these things, I find that I'm still very much more Keri than I am Mary. Still, I am touched every time I think of her, and know that I want to have a Mary Christmas, now and always.




In Addendum (how very Latin sounding of me):

In wanting to have a Mary Christmas, I should also be sure to have a Mary Easter.



It's kind of the whole point of Christmas, and I am so very, very grateful. He is risen.
Merry, Mary, Mary Christmas!

No comments: