Friday, June 13, 2008

IN CHARGE

I've been in charge of Lindsay's (oh, and my own) children since Tuesday night. They are all still alive, and I am still sane. Hopefully Lindsay and Dave are feeling well-rested and rejuvenated, though, because we're all ready for them to come home tomorrow.
Today would be a perfect time for me to post some pictures of my adventures in babysitting, but I don't know how to use Lindsay's computer to download them from my camera. Something else to add to my later-list.
Instead I'll tell you about a book I read while generally not paying attention to the kidlets (Don't judge me: remember, they are all still alive!).

It is a real boy-book, made into what I can only imagine is a real boy-movie: shoot-em-up, bang-em-dead kind of stuff. Just Michael's kind of movie for a quiet Sunday afternoon. Too bad it's rated R, honey.
This is the story of what happens when a hunter stumbles across a drug deal gone bad, and finds himself $2 million richer. He also finds himself the target of the drug dealers, and as much as we all want the good-guys to win, in this one, they don't.
This is also the story of an aging sheriff who wants to help, wants to make it right, and wants to believe there's still hope for doing all that. He ends up a very sad and retired man. When he tells his wife that he is quitting his position, she tries to comfort him with words about how there was nothing more he could have done. He responds with the idea that if the watch dog is bad enough, no one comes into the yard. Poor guy. It's gotta be tiring trying to out-bad the bad that people are capable of bringing into our yards.
I was struck by this thought of the Sheriff's:
I think if you were Satan and you were settin around tryin to think up somethin that would just bring the human race to its knees what you would probably come up with is narcotics. Maybe he did. I told that to somebody at breakfast the other mornin and they asked me if I believed in Satan. I said Well that aint the point. And they said I know but do you? I had to think about that. I guess as a boy I did. Come the middle years my belief I reckon had waned somewhat. Now I'm startin to lean back the other way. He explains a lot of things that otherwise dont have no explanation. Or not to me they dont. "No Country For Old Men" pg. 216.
He hit it right on the head. Sheriff Bell could have added a few more things Satan could and would, did and does use to bring us to our knees. Hopefully we'll do something good while we're down there.
And, with that, it's time for dinner. Again.

3 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Good for you for taking charge. Lindsay and Dave are here looking happy and relaxed. Evidently the vacation has been good for them. Pat yourself on the back. And be glad they don't have 3 more kids.

lovely laurie said...

So, do you recommend the book or is it a NO? And you do the mothering thing so well, I'm sure you exaggerate your experiences except maybe the wrinkle releaser on the dog and laundry room. But what's life without a few adventures? Gives you something to blog about!

Keri said...

The book is a NO. We all have better things to do, like clean up children's messes (p.s. the wrinkle releaser incident happened under Lindsay's care, not mine)