Wednesday, November 10, 2010

COURAGEOUS

Today I read The Red Badge of Courage. Again. That was my third time. And finally I think I understand why it's considered a classic (It was the Mom's parting words to her son that hooked me and made this a relatable story to me; sob, sob). Finally, a book considered "classic" that I can actually agree should be a classic. Actually, there are lots of them, but I always get hung up on books such as these: Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Moby Dick, Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, Call of the Wild. Who makes these lists, anyway? Who really is in charge here?
Well, as we learn in school, "I am in charge of me." So, I'm going to be in charge of my own classic novel list and if I ever need a blog topic in the next 7 weeks of this challenging challenge, I'll let you know what they are. I promise, it won't have The Old Man and the Sea anywhere on it.

2 comments:

Colin said...

but the old man and the sea is one for the few i've read...

SladeMomma said...

I'd really like to read your classic book list sometime. But remember you have to WRITE in your blog everyday, not PUBLISH every day.