Monday, November 15, 2010

A MISSIONARY'S MOM



Q: Do you know why this picture makes me laugh so hard?
A: Because, if I recall correctly, I once upon a time thought missionaries were so mature.



Q: Do you know why this picture freaks me out so much?
A: I am freaked out on so many levels when I look at this, but what really bothers my mother-heart is that Evan was able to be this goofy, even in what must have been minutes (60 or less, I'm guessing) from surviving a very real disaster (please do not confirm my suspicions that their car is, indeed, facing into oncoming traffic).




Q: Do you know why this picture makes me tear up?
A: Because every single one of those men wearing white (suit coat or no, tie or no, recent convert or no) has the very real opportunity to change his life, all because of Jesus Christ. And so do I. So do you. No matter the circumstances, no matter the distance between where we are and where we really want to be, our Savior wants to do exactly what that title entails: save us. Whether it be from heartache, unhappiness, confusion, or consequences, Jesus Christ provides the way for us to be changed into our best selves. It may take waiting. It may take work. It may take a while, but, at least speaking for myself, it's lovely to be on my way. Just thinking about it touches me to my tear ducts. I'm glad to know it touches others, too. Just like this picture shows. Just like maybe it's touching you, too.

3 comments:

Natty said...

Thanks for reminding me that my tear ducts work. I needed that gentle reminder about my Savior today, thank you.

SladeMomma said...

Q: Do you know what these pictures say to me?
A: D&C 1:23 "That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple [also foolish] unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers." Evan and his missionary brothers qualify.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible blessing Evan has been since coming to our ward last fall! Yes, he has his goofball moments, as he's pictured with his then companion and two of our young single adults after the ward Halloween party. But he's also a new spiritual giant that has grown before our very eyes as he serves the Lord. I was at the baptism pictured, and the Spirit was so strong that there was a definite shortage of tissues. He also played an original composition in Relief Society on the Sunday before Christmas---and the feeling was mesmerizing =)

Thank you for allowing us to borrow your son temporarily. We appreciate all you and your family do so that Evan can be here blessing our lives.

Sister Stephanie Clark
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania Ward