Saturday, November 13, 2010

HAP2BME

I saw the above title today on somebody's license plate. Sadly, it wasn't my car license plate, because NOW I REALLY, REALLY WANT IT, and someone else thought of it first. But what a wonderful phrase: happy to be me. And, you know what? I am. I'm happy to be who I am, where I am, doing what I am, and (generally speaking) learning the things I am. It is a nice place, that HAP2BME. I hope I can stay for awhile.

Other happy things I read today include the two fortune cookie messages (happy free sweets day to me!) I got at the Chinese Gourmet while out celebrating Joshua's upcoming birthday. Cookie number one said, "Your nurturing instincts will expand to include many people." Granted, I wasn't overly excited over a message that seems to presage more work for me...So I called the waiter over and asked for another chance. I dug around in his fortune-cookie basket until my fingers touched what felt like true treasure...and what do you know? Cookie number two (the one the waiter said doesn't actually count, but what does he know?) caused me to shout out loud for joy. Indeed, the fortune-cookie gods do know and love me! "A new pair of shoes will do you a world of good." Yes sirree, Bob, I do agree.

Speaking of the Chinese Gourmet, or rather, of going out for Joshua's birthday, or rather, of Joshua today, he has had a bit of a headache. While working outside with Michael this morning, he complained the whole time about his head hurting. Michael told him to go inside and take something for his headache, which Joshua eventually did. Reading the packaging on the medicines, he discovered one that said it was for headaches. Sinus headaches, that is, but all Joshua paid attention to was that it was for headaches. The said medicine was Benadryl. And, as noted on the packaging, it did indeed make Joshua drowsy. He was one very out of it boy all during dinner. But his headache was gone!

He was finally awake enough by the time we got home to be able to read some scriptures with me. We have been working on the final parts of his Faith in God booklet, and needed to read about the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood. What a wonderful experience it was to hear him read, to listen to him summarize, to hear him apply what these things mean to him. Of particular note was when we discussed how our personal talents can be used to help other people feel Christ's love for them. I asked Joshua about this and his examples surprised me. He told me, for example, that the way Evan speaks will help other people know about Christ because they will have to really listen to him to know what he is saying. He said that Lane being friendly will help other people know about Christ because they will know that someone thinks they are important. And he said that because he likes to go to church it will help others feel Christ's love because they won't have to struggle to get him to go to church or to listen when he is there.

That boy has got some insight. He, along with his brothers and dad, most assuredly make me HAP2BME, because I get to be part of their world. Even better than new shoes. (Usually)